Friday, November 20, 2015

#Syrianrefugees aren't a threat

Syrian refugees aren't a threat.  Less than five out of eight hundred thousand refugees admitted to the United States since 2001 have been charged with a crime.  Refugee status is the most strenuous of all immigration statuses.  In fact, it is much more difficult to receive refugee status than protection under asylum status.

And why Syrians?  Why not Belgians too by that twisted illogic?

Don't expect ignorant bigots to make such distinctions.

2 comments:

  1. Just a few questions:

    1) Why are the majority (I have seen as high as 75%) of these refugees single men?
    2) How do we know that they are in fact Syrian?
    3) Can you have legitimate concerns about this program and not be a bigot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure what the majority is. I think we need to stay away from categorial statements. Maybe they are Syrian; maybe they aren't. I suppose it depends on whether your believe whatever documents they have. I know at least one of the Paris bombers used a fake Syrian passport. This program seems like a knee-jerk reaction, and I don't see how banning one group makes us safer necessarily. The money could be better spent on intelligence which is the way to stay safe--that and removing ourselves from the Middle East as much as possible. I think you can have concerns about the program and not be a bigot. My main concern is discriminating against large groups of people. It is similar to the Japanese internment camps during WWII.

    On an unrelated note, I see we are FB friends. I certainly remember your snippy comments from the past. Good think I now know who you are.

    ReplyDelete