Thursday, November 13, 2014

How do you deal with anonymous trolls on your blog's comments section?

There are a few ways to deal with it.  First, you could ignore then.  Second, you could call them on their BS and get them going.  I go back and forth between which is best.  Generally speaking, someone who criticizes you under the cover of anonymity is a coward.  There is no way around that.  The internet makes it easy to say nasty things and run away, BUT it does not shield the commenter from libel laws if the statement is deemed libelous.  Most anonymous commenters don't know this.  My best advice is: don't let it bother you, and the more you get slammed the better the job you are doing.  "Haters are going to hate," as the saying goes.

2 comments:

  1. I can't speak for the other people who go by anonymous. In my case there are several reasons, not the least of which is that I should be working instead. I could post a fake name - or a real one - and you still wouldn't know my identity unless I chose to verify it.

    I've contributed to blogs for years, many of those being liberal blogs. You'd find me to be the same in person. No bluster or bomb throwing online because I can remain nameless. I like debating policy and, frankly, it's no fun preaching to the choir or echo chamber. I admire your passion and while I don't harbor delusions of changing your mind, I do enjoy the friendly debate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. Thanks for your comments and please post again.

    ReplyDelete