Sunday, August 31, 2014

I'm not sure if Labor Day would be created nowadays

Labor unions made Labor Day possible.  It is a day designed to celebrate the American working man.  Sadly unions are on the decline in this country, and that has led to unsafe working conditions, lower wages and employers refusing to give employees health care.  Unions are meant to protect workers against ruthless and greedy management.

North Carolina is a "right to work" state.  This is perhaps the most contradictory term ever conceived because it is a pro business stance at the expense of the worker.  It means the business can fire you for almost any reason or they can keep you and screw you over the whole time.

I hope our state's regression will stop, but I don't see things changing anytime soon.

2 comments:

  1. I'm an attorney as well. The corporate tax rate here 35%. You can't continue to beat up on corporations while you drive your Mercedes pretending you are looking at for the little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't drive a Mercedes. I primarily represent the indigent. Most large corporations pay little or no taxes because they have operations offshore, dodge taxes, use loopholes or have armies of lobbyists to get them special tax breaks. I'm glad to know the corporations have you to stand up for them too though.

    ReplyDelete