Friday, January 24, 2014

Life stinks for people who don't have money

I've noticed this even more in the past few days.  Yesterday I got a flat tire while driving back from Cary.  I had been at a NCBA Board of Governors meeting with many of the state's leading lawyers. As I sat in a gas station waiting for a wrecker to help me with my punctured tire, I thought about what it would be like not to have the money for AAA or other car repairs. What if I didn't have a car?  Luckily the wrecker arrived in 20 minutes, and I headed on my way.  Of course I do have to buy a new tire today, but I have the money.  So that's good for me.

Today I went to meet with a Social Security disability client, and he got the locations mixed up.  He is homeless, and he has to take the bus, which stinks on a day like today where the temperature is less than 20 degrees.  I was able to ride in my heated car while listening to a book on CD as I contemplated my up coming weekend.  He, on the other hand, has to worry about the bus schedule and when it will take him back to the crowded shelter.

I thought about the contrast between the two worlds.  I've been fortunate, but my client hasn't.  Lots of people don't have "a pot to piss in" as the saying goes.  That's what rankles me when I hear politicians and others who have means criticizing those who don't have means.  It is MUCH easier to be critical when you have the luxury of being critical.

No comments:

Post a Comment